I had about six months of this kid sleeping good and through the night- because he hadn't learned yet how to be an escape artist. Once he learned to climb out of his crib, we're back to square one... So, I ask:
Do your kids do this? For the last couple months this is the biggest challenge at our house. As you can tell, we have switched to the toddler bed, back to the crib, to the toddler bed again, but still... drumroll... he sleeps in OUR bed most the night. Here's his tactic:
1- Goes to bed pretty good in the rocking chair, we lay him in bed around 8:00, 8:30.
2- Around 10:30 (this varies, of course)- sometimes we're lucky and get until around 11:20ish- he climbs out of bed and ventures out to find us.
3- He gets in bed with us and spends the remainder of the night alternating between kicking one of us in the ribs and making us go downstairs for "duice", while the other one of us sleeps in the spare bedroom.
So, I know to get your kids to sleep, you are supposed to be consistent. Well... the only thing we are consistent about is giving up. I thought I paid my dues being up all night that first year! Guess not. So I've learned:
The joy of parenthood is continual- and doesn't stop at night.
Oh, but I love this kid. Yesterday I woke up, (in the spare bedroom, of course) to find Max a couple inches away from my face, dangling with his feet off the bed, with a big grin on his face, just waiting for me to wake up.
And then he shows me the candy he found before I was awake and the wrappers strewn through the house.
What would I do without Max? I don't even want to know. I love the energy he brings to life. Max: You're Worth It.
Side Note: Notice the sign above his crib in this picture- appropriate I think. Yes. Approriate.
I still don't know how a kid so small can climb so high. And why he still feels the need to climb over the side when he can step out the front.
5 comments:
Evi was a pretty bad sleeper for awhile and yes I didn't get to sleep and she was in our bed a lot. Until one day, I had it. I let her scream through the night and never went up there. She never climbed out of her crib though. I would make it as safe as I could for him to climb out by himself (like a toddler bed) and shut his door and don't go in there. Just tell him that he needs to stay in there until it is light outside. One year olds are smart they know what you are talking about. I just hated her crying at night and would go up there as soon she started and she knew I would. I had conditioned her to cry (a bad thing) and rewarded it with me (a good thing). Good Luck it is soooo hard. But once it is done you tell yourself I should have done that months ago. That worked for me, hope it helps.
That just makes me laugh! I can't wait til Jax can open doors and climb out of his crib! Life will be even more interesting!
ahh Brand..i feel for ya especially right now, because last night was one of those nights, but I dont know how you'd deal with it every night..I agree with jenn though, your goin have to let him cry it out...even if he falls asleep on the floor, atleast he will eventually learn he's got to stay in there..GOODLUCK..love ya.
Agree with Jenn and Roxie. My kids knew how to open the door so every night when they would come into my room I would get up and take them back into their room. It made for some long nights, but they got that they needed to stay in their bed. Good luck!
Thanks for all the comments! It's good to know other people know what they're talking about when I don't!
Post a Comment